June 24, 2009

Flat Bed Update

Before & After
Brick flower/herb garden
The soil is definetely not as rich as the soil in the raised beds. But I've done my bed to mulch to keep down the weeds. *mulching considerably cut down on the summer weeding. On this side I wanted to plant my herbs, potatoes, tomatoes and some vertical plants (peas & pumpkins).
It appears the potatoes are doing very well in both the cage and garbage bags. I guess I'll be able to tell better when I harvest them. *Potatoes must grow in dirt. The potatoes grew only at the bottom where there was dirt. They didn't grow up through the straw at all.*


The parsley here is all self-seeded. As soon as it warms up, it flowers. I just never think to use my herbs. I planted chocolate mint, sage, lemon verbena, red onions, zinnias and cabbage.
Down below, I planted peas up the trellis and the pumpkins are just getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment