April 2, 2009

Spring fever in January


So in January, when I could hardly stand it, I begin reading through my gardening books and internet articles. I stumbled upon topics such as Heirloom seeds, sustainable gardening, survivalist living. I was intrigued. I decided to commit to an organic Heirloom garden this season and see what all the fuss is about. As you get older and think of the earth you are leaving your children, you begin looking at living in this world differently. How can you do the things you do with less of a hurtful impact on the earth? This is what I want to find out. It was still January and I couldn't go outside and get dirty so I decided to order my Heirloom seeds. After reading many reviews, I ordered from Baker's Creek Heirloom. I went a little over board, but all my reading indicates that I need to help the world of seed savers keep these seeds going.... I'm just doing my part.
I ordered:
Old Homestead (Kentucky Wonder) Bean
Scarlet Runner Beans
Bull's Blood Beets
Chioggia (Bassano) Beets
Detroit Red Beets
Calabrese Green Sprouting Broccoli
Long Island Improved Brussell Sprouts
Mammoth Red Rock Cabbage
Perfection Drumhead Savoy Cabbage
Snowball Self-blanching Cauliflower
Danvers 126 Half Long Carrots
Atomic Red Carrots
Lunar White Carrots
Amarillo Carrots
Muscade Carrots
Stowell's Evergreen Sweet Corn
True Gold Sweet Corn
Delikatesse Cucumber
Wonderberry
Tom Thumb Lettuce
Forellenschluss Lettuce
Henderson's Black-Seeded Simpson
Iceberg
Dark Lolla Rossa
Lollo Rossa
Mascara
Kansas Lettuce
Blue Podded Peas
Sugar Snap Peas
Purple Jalepeno Pepper
Emerald Giant Pepper
Early Scarlet Globe Radish
Bloomsdale Long Standing Spinach
New Zealand Spinach
Winter Luxary Pie Pumpkin
Green Zebra Tomato
Spear's Tennessee Green
Kentucky Beefsteak
Brandywine
Cherokee Purple
Beefsteak
Red Grape
Flame (Hillbilly)
White Zebra
Egg Yolk
Long Milky Way Moon and Stars Watermelon
Cilantro
Dill-Bouquet
Parsley-Giant of Italy
Russian Tarragon
Basil

No comments:

Post a Comment